The sale of The Round House at Chalford, Gloucestershire
The Round House at Chalford, near Stroud in Gloucestershire was built in 1789 to house one of the linesmen on the now disused Thames & Severn Canal. It is one of five such round houses that were constructed beside the canal.
Four storeys tall and built from Cotswold stone, the building has a slate conical roof. At one point after the First World War, it was lived in by a lockkeeper, his wife and their ten children but subsequently became a museum. Now converted back into a private residence, it is currently available for sale through agents Butler Sherborn.
Featuring oak beamed ceilings, a Georgian range, Gothic and stained glass windows, The Round House is surprisingly Tardis-like. Inside, the accommodation provides a sitting room, kitchen and garden room as well as two bedrooms, a bathroom and a shower room. Externally, there are gardens on all sides as well as a large 20ft garage.
Potential buyers have nothing to fear from flooding. The Cotswolds Canals Partnership recently spent £50,000 dredging the section of canal in front of The Round House.
An 18th century child’s silk shoe, left in hidden the house since it was built, was discovered during renovations of The Round House. This remains in place and according to the agent will be “passed on through the generations for good fortune.” Whoever has the good sense to purchase this quaint property, will certainly need a small fortune to purchase it. The asking price is a not so diminutive £375,000.
For more information contact Butler Sherborn, 43-45 Castle Street, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 1QD on +44 (0) 1285 883740.