Chef and Palestine on a Plate app creator Joudie Kalla shares her recipe for crab cakes
Summer finally reared its head last week and I was inspired to create some fresh, crisp, tangy crab cakes. I love making this dish as its absolutely delicious, simple and given they’re equally perfect for snacking as much as part of a main meal, I bet you won’t be disappointed either.
350g fresh white crab meat.
Small bunch of mint, chopped.
Small bunch of coriander, chopped.
Half a red chilli, deseeded and chopped.
One tablespoon of sesame oil.
One or two tablespoons of red chilli jam.
Soy sauce to taste.
Four to six tablespoons of plain flour.
Half an egg, whisked.
Half a lime.
– Flake the crab meat, add the herbs, sliced chilli and sesame oil, chilli jam and soya sauce.
– Add a squeeze of lime.
– Add the egg and mix.
– Mix everything and shape into patties. It can get a little tricky as the crab will be very flaky, but do not worry: It will come together.
– Take the patties and the flour and flour each side.
– Place in a hot pan with a little oil and sear together.
– Searing will take a very short time. The aim is to get a golden colour as the crab is already cooked.
– When ready, place on top of a salad of choice. I like bean sprouts with coriander and mint.
This recipe should make six crab cakes of a good size. Happy dining.
Joudie Kalla is a Palestinian chef and a lover of Middle Eastern food. She runs Baity Kitchen Catering and recently launched an app named Palestine on a Plate to share Palestinian recipes and personal stories. Follow her on Twitter at @BaityKitchen.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here:[wysija_form id=”1″]