A coastal estate in a spectacular setting on the White Cliffs of Dover
Known as The South Foreland Estate, an 11.5-acre parcel of land overlooking the English Channel at The Front, St Margaret’s Bay in Kent includes a main house, three further residences and a decommissioned lighthouse that was used in a film starring Oliver Reed.
Perched on the White Cliffs of Dover and adjoining the National Trust owned South Foreland Lighthouse, The South Foreland Estate comprises a 4,821 square foot residence, Cliff House, that was remodeled in 1999 as well as a one bedroomed New England style summerhouse, a 2 bedroomed cottage named Dolphins Leap and Baby Dolphin, a single storey detached house.
The lighthouse building itself was originally known as the Lower South Foreland Lighthouse and the site’s usage for such a purpose dates back as far as 1367. The first towers were built in 1635 and the cost of building the current tower – along with the Upper South Foreland Lighthouse – was £4409 4s 3d in 1843. The lower light was decommissioned in 1904 after the sands shifted whilst the upper light continued in operation until 1988. A scene in the 1967 horror film The Shuttered Room starring Oliver Reed and Flora Robson was shot at the lower lighthouse.
£4 million is sought for The South Foreland Estate through agents Strutt & Parker.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here:[wysija_form id=”1″]