Chef and Palestine on a Plate app creator Joudie Kalla shares her recipe for apple cake crumble
Apple cakes are one of my favourite things. In fact, I love apple with anything really. This is my recipe for a delicious and super moist cake with a slight streusel or crumble finish. It gives it a certain je ne sais quoi.
175g plain flour.
1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
A pinch of salt.
1 teaspoon of baking powder.
190ml whole milk.
2 apples peeled and cored and sliced thinly.
For the topping:
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
– Line and coat a baking pan. I use a 9”.
– Put all the ingredients for the cake into a large mixing bowl.
– In another bowl, mix the oil, egg and milk together and then incorporate them into the flour mix.
– Make sure they are well combined.
– Pour into the pan and layer with the apples in a fan shape.
– Cook for approximately ten minutes at 180 degrees.
– While it is cooking, mix together the butter and sugar to create a light fluffy mixture and then add the egg and vanilla extract. It should become a paste almost. If it curdles slightly, I would add a teaspoon of flour to help. This should bring it back together.
– Next, cover the cake with the topping.
– Cook it at 180 degrees for another 20 to 25 minutes.
I recommend serving the apple cake crumble with whipped cream or a fruit compote and accompany with sweet cardamom tea. It’s simply perfect.
Joudie Kalla is a Palestinian chef and a lover of Middle Eastern food. She runs Baity Kitchen Catering and recently launched an app named Palestine on a Plate to share Palestinian recipes and personal stories. Follow her on Twitter at @BaityKitchen.
Subscribe to our free once daily email newsletter here:[wysija_form id=”1″]