To the manor born

The Manor, Bucklebury: a house that shortly may become home to Carole and Michael Middleton

First reported by The Daily Telegraph’s “Mandrake” columnist Richard Eden in May, the talk of today is that The Duchess of Cambridge’s parents, Carole and Michael Middleton, have just purchased a Georgian manor house at Bucklebury in West Berkshire.

The exterior of The Manor, Bucklebury, Reading, West Berkshire, RG7 6RP

The eastern side of the house includes a steel framed garden room

The property’s formal gardens with parkland beyond

Currently owned by a Morgan Stanley banker named Justin Mason and his landscape artist wife, Jill, The Manor was subject to a bidding war featuring four parties and has now been taken off the market. Agents Savills have refused to confirm the name of the winning bid but this morning’s Mail Online claims the Middletons, who are said to be worth some £30 million from their Party Pieces empire, have “triumphed” and are paying some £4.7 million for the property. It was last sold in 2001 for circa £1.8 million.

The house’s formal drawing room

The family kitchen complete with full sized AGA

Featuring 7 bedrooms, 5 reception rooms, a swimming pool and tennis court, The Manor is set in 18.9 acres and situated 8.8 miles from Newbury. The Grade II listed house merges “contemporary and traditional styles” of décor and a main feature is a large kitchen that the agents describe as being “the heart of the house.” One could, indeed, imagine Mrs Middleton cooking up a feast fit for a future King in this vast room.

The current Middleton family residence: Oak Acre, The Avenue, Bucklebury, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 6NS

Carole and Michael Middleton on the driveway of their current home

Whilst many and most especially the Daily Mail mock this family, and if indeed they are the purchasers of The Manor, it is most certainly a most fitting residence for them. Their next step on the Monopoly board is much deserved.

For more information on The Manor, Bucklebury contact Michael Gatehouse of the Newbury office of Savills on +44 (0) 1635 277700 or email mgatehouse@savills.com

Share This Article With Your Friends:

Comments

Comments

1. Henry H says:

It looks like a most suitable home and they won’t have far to go as it is in the same village. Thanks for sharing Matthew. We now all know where to send fan mail!

2. Claudio says:

For £5m I would expect something bigger.

3. A.J. says:

The decoration is a little bland. I hope the new owners spice it up.

4. Anna Victoria says:

I prefer the look of the old home. Though this Manor has more privacy and will suit them better. I dislike the down lights in the kitchen of the new abode – they look too modern. I hope the Middleton’s put their own stamp on the dull interiors. Good luck to them and I hope they enjoy living out near the woods. The grounds have wonderful views.

5. eils says:

I love it! I will be in Newbury (from Australia) September 2013, I wonder if they will invite me for afternoon tea!? I would love to meet Carole, she’s really super cool.

1. Pete Wayde says:

I doubt it: this is a family with over arching social ambitions. Mind you, they are not alone. Take the Tennant family whose Victorian fortune was based on bleach. It didn’t take long for the ghastly Tennants to use their money to brown nose themselves in the old aristocracy.

1. Mrs. Polly says:

Peter, the whole purpose of making money and sending ones children to posh schools, is so they can meet aristocrats – this gives them a leg-up. I too prefer the ‘look’ of the old house, but I suppose there was some reason for the move. Mr. and Mrs. will shortly find themselves rattling around, on their own, in the larger house. And although their entry into the Royal Circles seems to be ok, it will probably be ‘so far, and no further’. The Royal ‘system’ will decide what is what and how it is done – and I think Mrs. Middleton will be told sooner or later. But for the time being they are enjoying the birth of a new baby without the sleepless nights etc. This is the grandparent entitlement, to love and play with give back when tired.

6. Pete Wayde says:

The member of the family I revere is Uncle Gary, though he must annoy Carole enormously by continually talking about their childhood in Hounslow. As for the vulgar and over decorated rocking horse he planned to pay £70,000 for as a present to the baby….what on earth must the poor queen think? So common!
    Though a descendent of one of the regicides I have great respect for HM…..but her family must be a grave disappointment to her.

7. Pete Wayde says:

and the decoration looks most North London country house style…..
    I don’t think Carole will need to make many changes….quite suitable ‘decor’ as some would refer to it

8. […] というわけで、この秋にケンジントン宮殿の工事が終わるまで、ジョージ王子はロンドンから80キロ南西にある、バークシャーのバックルベリー村のキャサリン妃のご実家にいらっしゃるようです。これもちょっと日本の皆さんには意外な気がするかもしれません。バックルベリー村は人口2,000人強。キャサリン妃はこの村で育ちました。村人は殆ど知り合いのような環境ですから、部外者が来ればすぐに分かるので安心。村がロイヤル・カップルを全面的にサポートしてくれる一方で、誰も彼らを特別扱いしないため、キャサリン妃とウィリアム王子が村のパブに気軽に顔を出すこともできるそうです。キャサリン妃のご両親が昨年、村に購入した7部屋の寝室と5部屋の応接室があるマナーハウス(このお屋敷の外観や内観の写真はコチラ)にはテニスコートやプールもあって快適。屋敷の前の道は交通規制されていて、警備も万全。ここでは村人に守られていますから、ウィリアム王子とキャサリン妃が人目やパパラッチの心配をすることなく、ジョージ王子との時間を過ごせるわけです。 […]